Valentine’s day is almost here! Who is going to be your Valentine? Mine are my hubby and children… who are craaaaazy for cupcakes. Since such a special occasion deserves an exquisite treat, then decadent and romantic Romeo and Juliet Cupcakes is what we will be having for this year. We are also celebrating our third blog anniversary on February 6th — with cupcakes, of course!
Our Romeo and Juliet cupcakes consist of moist chocolate cupcakes filled with melted guava paste and topped with a cream cheese and guava frosting …
I know, I know!!! You might be asking: “OK!!! That may be so, but why are they named Romeo and Juliet though?” Well, in Brazil Romeo & Juliet (Romeo e Julieta) means more than just characters from Shakespeare’s drama. It is also a term to describe the perfect combination of cheese and guava… For us, like the characters in the play, they were made for each other, although unlike the classic love story, this ending is quite a happy one. 🙂
In my home country, cheese and guava is as popular a pairing as peanut butter and jelly in the U.S. Got it?! 🙂
If you have a WHO valentine, award him/her with this scrumptious treat. If you don’t, you still can have a WHAT valentine….these Romeo and Juliet cupcakes will be love at first bite!
Wishing you and your Valentine a very delicious day!!
“Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight! For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night.”
(William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet)
- For the Romeo and Juliet cupcake batter:
- Homemade chocolate cupcake recipe or use a chocolate cupcake mix of your choice
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 32 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 16 ounces or 4 sticks unsalted butter, cut into chunks, at room temperature
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar (to taste)
- 2-4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- NOTE: These quantities yield enough for a double spiral of frosting for each of the cupcakes. (As you can see, the resulting top frosting will be quite tall). If you'd like just a single spiral of frosting, halve each of the quantities given above.
- For the Guava Paste "Jelly" Swirl:
- 16 oz guava paste, cut into chunks (guava paste is available at Latin markets and also in the Latin aisle of some Walmart supermarkets)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Port wine (optional)
- NOTE: If you would like to fill cupcakes with the guava paste jelly, increase quantity of ingredients described above for the guava paste "jelly" recipe by ¼ to ½.
- To prepare Romeo and Juliet cupcakes batter, follow the instructions in the link, or from a chocolate cupcake mix of your choice.
- Prepare the cream cheese frosting: Place room temperature cream cheese and butter in a standing mixer bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes, or until mixture is light, fluffy, and well blended. Beat in powdered sugar on slow speed until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla extract beating until incorporated (about 30 seconds).
- To prepare the guava paste swirl, place the chopped guava paste, water, and Port wine (optional) in a small nonstick pan. Let boil for 3-5 minutes over medium high heat or until guava paste chunks have softened. Then, mash the guava paste chunks with a potato masher or fork until chunks melt. Next, stir with a wooden spoon until mixture is reasonably homogeneous although tiny chunks will remain (Great! Because when piped one can taste the guava paste). However, if you prefer mixture to be completely smooth, blend in a blender until no pieces are found. Pour into a ramekin or small bowl and let come to room temperature.
- If you would like to fill the Romeo and Juliet cupcakes with guava paste "jelly," open a medium hole (starting from the top to the middle -- don't go all the way to the bottom) in the center of each cupcake and fill/pipe in a good amount of the frosting or "jelly." Using a closed star tip or other tip of your preference, pipe the swirled frosting on top of cupcake. In order to produce swirling of the frosting, spoon the cream cheese frosting into one side of the piping bag and the guava jelly paste into the other side. Refrigerate! Decorate Romeo and Juliet cupcakes as desired. Enjoy!