America is the land of burgers… and so is Brazil!!! Huh? To be more specific: Brazil is the land of the X-Tudo – a hamburger on Steroids!!!! And X-Tudo (pronounced: shees-TOO-doo) is what I have for you today! How about that?
X-Tudo (translated as ‘cheese-everything’) is a TALL burger with many toppings. In fact, x-tudo is so tall that you can’t get your mouth, no matter how big, around the whole burger. Yes, eating a x-tudo is a fun, deliciously messy experience which one must have at least once in life… It is so good that it makes every single calorie consumed worthwhile. Just like any other burger, x-tudo is about taste — not aesthetics…
In Brazil, x-tudo is available at snack bars and on the streets. There are many variations of x-tudo e.g.: X-Caipira (sausage, egg, tomato, and onion), X-Salada (hamburger patty, cheese, lettuce, and tomato), X-Bacon (hamburger patty, cheese, bacon, lettuce, and tomato), X-Frango (chicken breast, cheese, lettuce, and tomato), etc… But my favorite is still the classic which is pretty much composed of a juicy hamburger patty, melted cheese, fried egg, deli ham, bacon, corn, lettuce, tomato, and shoestring potatoes — all sandwiched between a burger bun. It is often eaten with mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard.
Does it sound good to you? Well, the good news is that you don’t need to travel to Brazil to eat x-tudo. FBTY bought it directly to you!
Have a ball eating my classic X-Tudo!
We have teamed up with Stay a Stay at Home Mom and other bloggers to bring you this Feed The Pig Giveaway… It will run from August 8 to 28, 2013. It is open worldwide to those 18 and older. To have a chance to win $ 100 Paypal cash, please click on the link below and fill out the Rafflecopter. Winner will be chosen randomly via Rafflecopter; entry methods are verified, only those who complete entry methods claimed are eligible to win. Good luck!
- 1½ pounds ground chuck (80 percent lean)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- A good pinch of cumin
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted, if desired
- Mayonnaise ( I like to use Hellman’s lime mayonnaise)
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 tablespoons of steamed corn kernels
- 4 large slices of tomato
- 4 fried eggs
- 4 slices of deli ham or hard salami (I used hard salami on mine)
- 8 strips of smoked bacon, cooked
- Shoestring potatoes
- Ketchup and either deli or Dijon mustard
- Prepare the burger patties: In a large mixing bowl, combine together the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin. Mix until well incorporated. Divide the ground meat into 4 equal portions of 6 ounces each. Form each portion loosely into an approximately ¾-inch-thick burger patty.
- In a large cast-iron griddle pan, spread and heat the oil until just beginning to shimmer. Cook the burger patties for about 3 minutes or until slightly charred on the first side. Then, flip over the burger patties and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly charred on the second side. Top each patty with one slice of cheese and cover the pan so cheese can melt (about 1 minute).
- To assemble the X-Tudo: Spread mayonnaise on the inside of the buns. Top the bottom part of the bun with one lettuce leaf, 1 tablespoon of cooked corn kernels, one slice of tomato, one burger patty with melted cheese, one fried egg, one slice of ham or salami, a sprinkle of crushed or ground black pepper, 2 strips of bacon, and shoestring potatoes. Squeeze on ketchup and deli mustard, and then top with the other half of the bun. Serve x-tudo immediately with guaraná soda or beer. Enjoy!
Other sandwiches that you might also enjoy:
- Brazilian Hot Dog (Cachorro Quente)
- Top Hat Bananas Sandwich (Sanduíche de Cartola)
- Beach-Style Cold Chicken Sandwich (Sanduíche Natural de Frango)
- Brazilian-Style Chicken Salad Sandwich (Sanduíche de Salpicão de Frango)