America is the land of burgers… and so is Brazil!!! Huh? To be more specific: Brazil is the land of the X-Tudo — a hamburger on Steroids!!!! And X-Tudo (pronounced: sheess-TOO-doo) is what I have for you today! How about that?
X-Tudo (translated as ‘cheese-everything’) is a TALL burger with many toppings. In fact, x-tudo is so tall that you can’t get your mouth, no matter how big, around the whole burger. Yes, eating a x-tudo is a fun, deliciously messy experience which one must have at least once in life… It is so good that it makes every single calorie consumed worthwhile. Just like any other burger, x-tudo is about taste — not aesthetics…
In Brazil, X-tudo is available at snack bars and on the streets. There are many variations of x-tudo e.g.: X-Caipira (sausage, egg, tomato, and onion), X-Salada (hamburger patty, cheese, lettuce, and tomato), X-Bacon (hamburger patty, cheese, bacon, lettuce, and tomato), X-Frango (chicken breast, cheese, lettuce, and tomato), etc… But my favorite is still the classic which is pretty much composed of a juicy hamburger patty, melted cheese, fried egg, deli ham, bacon, corn, lettuce, tomato, and shoestring potatoes — all sandwiched between a burger bun. 🙂 It is often eaten with mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard.
Does it sound good to you? Well, the good news is that you don’t need to travel to Brazil to eat x-tudo. FBTY bought it directly to you!
Have a ball eating my classic X-Tudo!
We have teamed up with Stay a Stay at Home Mom and other bloggers to bring you this Feed The Pig Giveaway… It will run from August 8 to 28, 2013. It is open worldwide to those 18 and older. To have a chance to win $ 100 Paypal cash, please click on the link below and fill out the Rafflecopter. Winner will be chosen randomly via Rafflecopter; entry methods are verified, only those who complete entry methods claimed are eligible to win. Good luck!
- 1½ pounds ground chuck (80 percent lean)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- A good pinch of cumin
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted, if desired
- Mayonnaise ( I like to use Hellman's lime mayonnaise)
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 tablespoons of steamed corn kernels
- 4 large slices of tomato
- 4 fried eggs
- 4 slices of deli ham or hard salami (I used hard salami on mine)
- 8 strips of smoked bacon, cooked
- Shoestring potatoes
- Ketchup and either deli or Dijon mustard
- Prepare the burger patties: In a large mixing bowl, combine together the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin. Mix until well incorporated. Divide the ground meat into 4 equal portions of 6 ounces each. Form each portion loosely into an approximately ¾-inch-thick burger patty.
- In a large cast-iron griddle pan, spread and heat the oil until just beginning to shimmer. Cook the burger patties for about 3 minutes or until slightly charred on the first side. Then, flip over the burger patties and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly charred on the second side. Top each patty with one slice of cheese and cover the pan so cheese can melt (about 1 minute).
- To assemble the X-Tudo: Spread mayonnaise on the inside of the buns. Top the bottom part of the bun with one lettuce leaf, 1 tablespoon of cooked corn kernels, one slice of tomato, one burger patty with melted cheese, one fried egg, one slice of ham or salami, a sprinkle of crushed or ground black pepper, 2 strips of bacon, and shoestring potatoes. Squeeze on ketchup and deli mustard, and then top with the other half of the bun. Serve x-tudo immediately with guaraná soda or beer. Enjoy!
Other sandwiches that you might also enjoy:
- Brazilian Hot Dog (Cachorro Quente)
- Top Hat Bananas Sandwich (Sanduíche de Cartola)
- Beach-Style Cold Chicken Sandwich (Sanduíche Natural de Frango)
- Brazilian-Style Chicken Salad Sandwich (Sanduíche de Salpicão de Frango)