Disclosure: This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Farmland® and Latina Bloggers Connect. As always, all the opinions expressed here are honest and my own!
Are you a sports fan? With the Super Bowl coming up, it is great to have some quick to prepare yet tasty finger foods at hand — especially for those who have to prepare an assortment of them. 🙂 This year, we will be celebrating this event with something both different and familiar: easy, four-ingredient Palm Heart Bacon Bites (or Espetinho de Palmito com Bacon)!! Excited?
If you have never had the chance to try hearts of palm — a healthy, nutritious, low carb Southern American vegetable, this is your chance. It is available canned in Latin markets across America, and also in the Latin aisle of a few American supermarkets. Of course, fingerling or baby potatoes, baby carrots, bite-sized celery stalks, asparagus, and pineapple would be suitable substitutions — although naturally their flavor and texture are not the same as the hearts of palm. I am a fan of hearts of palm– and so is my American hubby!
How about bacon? It needs no introduction, right? 🙂 Farmland® bacon is one of our family’s favorite — especially my husband’s. It is slow smoked over real hardwoods for maximum flavor, making a difference in every bite. Because you can never have too much bacon, we used the thick cut in our palm heart bacon bites! 😉
The fibrous, mildly sour hearts of palm contrast well with the meaty, smoked bacon, resulting in an unforgettable bite. My husband can talk about this better than anyone else. The Super Bowl is about 10 days away… and his contagious excitement about our bacon bites made me cook them already twice within one week. Now is that what you call a favorite or what?
For other tasty recipes, click here. Enjoy our bacon bites and have a fun Super Bowl!!!
- 5 strips of Farmland® Naturally Hickory Smoked Thick Cut Bacon, sliced in half
- 5 hearts of palm, sliced in half crosswise (i.e. cutting the long cylinder into two smaller cylinders)
- Fresh thyme to sprinkle (optional)
- 1/2 cup store-bought pesto sauce or [url href=”http://www.frombraziltoyou.org/gaucho-skirt-steak-with-chimichurri-sauce-flatbread/” target=”_blank” title=”Gaucho-Style Flatbread for #KikkomanSabor”]homemade chimichurri sauce[/url]
- Roll half strip of bacon over half heart of palm. Stick a toothpick all the way through to hold the bacon around the heart of palm. Place palm heart bacon bites onto a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes or until bacon is brown and crispy. Serve hot with pesto or chimichurri sauce on the side. Bacon bites can be accompanied by beer or guaraná soda.